As in this week for one of my clients I’m conducting the process of upgrade vCenter 5.1 to version 5.5 U2 with components like Update Manager and Site Recovery Manager.
I started to check all I needed for this process accesses accounts. When checking account administrator to the database Single Sign On admin@System-Domain, it turned out that the account password has expired.
In version 5.1 standard time, after which the password expires is 365 days. After this time all we have to reset their password.
In order to perform a reset and at the same time unlock the account, we need to follow those steps:
- Open a command prompt with administrator privileges and enter the following command:
SET JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\jre
- Before entering, make sure that the appropriate directory is located here, as in my case all the components of vCenter are not located on drive C.
- Remember to remove the quotation marks, otherwise you will get error associated with Java.
2. Navigate to the folder ssolscli
cd "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\ssolscli"
3. Use ssopass to unlock password
ssopass -d https://FQDN:7444/lookupservice/sdk admin
4. You will be asked to enter your current password, then you can enter a new password
The process is not complicated, and do not requires maintenance window. Account password can be reset safely.
Remember to keep the old password if it was used during the first installation of vCenter.
This is very important because, first administrator password is the MASTER PASSWORD, which is required, for example, for restore and repair Single Sign On database.
Regards – Paweł